Music In The Orthodox Church (Discovering Orthodox Christianity)
Featuring Archdeacon Panteleimon Papadopoulos, Dr. Vicki Pappas, and Dr. Grammenos Karanos
1. What are the distinctive qualities of Byzantine chant and music?
2. How does the music of the Orthodox Church fit into the life of the Church?
3. What are the different tones in Byzantine chant?
4. Do the hymns and responses constitute prayers or are they simply responses to the priest or officiating bishop?
5. Should the faithful simply listen or join in with the cantor or choir?
6. Is the music of the Church today the same as it was centuries ago or has it evolved?
7. How can I learn to participate if I don't know Byzantine music?
8. What is the National Forum of Greek Orthodox Church Musicians?
Discovering Orthodox Christianity is a series of talks, shows, and presentations designed to introduce and explain the basic teaching of Orthodox Christianity. Sponsored by the Leadership 100 Endowment Fund the series covers a wide range of topics with the goal of educating the viewer in simple, easy to understand terms.
Additional information about Orthodox Christianity can be found on the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America website at http://www.goarch.org/ .