Coronavirus & The Orthodox Church - TCWP Panel Discussion
Panel Discussions on The Collective Wisdom Project
This is the inaugural episode from a new series of panel discussions we are working on. In this episode, we discuss the Orthodox Church's response to the Coronavirus pandemic with three esteemed Orthodox pastors: Fr. Theodore Petrides (GOA), Fr. Stephen Freeman (OCA), and Fr. Jonah Campbell (ROCOR).
About Our Panelists
Fr. Theodore Petrides is pastor of Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church in Reading, PA. He has taught pastoral care at St. Tikhon’s Orthodox Seminary, collaborated on the Orthodox Study Bible, and has recently begun the new podcast “Signs in Our Times” on Ancient Faith Radio.:
Fr. Stephen Freeman is Pastor Emeritus and founder of St. Anne OCA Church in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. He is the prolific blogger behind the popular Glory to God for All Things blog and podcast, as well as the author of Everywhere Present: Christianity in a One-Storey Universe:
Fr. Jonah Campbell is pastor of Christ the Savior
ROCOR Church in Wayne, WV, and founder and owner of Damascene Gallery, purveyors of fine icon reproductions:
Fr. Theodore kindly shared some of the newsletters that he has been sending out to his parishioners, to which he refers in the panel discussion. Here are a few of the things to which he refers:
"Counting our blessings / Using our spiritual weapons
What can we do? One spiritual weapon that many have found helpful is looking for the blessings in this circumstance, and thanking God for them. Each of us can, as St. Paisios would say, make our heart a factory of good thoughts, if we work at it.
Here is my list of ten blessings from this pandemic:
- I have been pushed to find ways to minister to others that I was avoiding before, not believing I could.
- I have discovered just how gifted members of our parish are in communicating, organizing, and showing compassion.
- I am making more time to read and pray (and read and pray together with my wife and daughter).
- More people are "attending" services remotely than ever before since we started live-streaming them from our new Facebook page.
- More parishioners are making the time to pray in their homes than before.
- Parents and children are spending more quality time together.
- The physical atmosphere around the globe has significantly improved.
- We are all, to one degree or another, finding a renewed appreciation for what we had before this pandemic reached our land.
- We are finding renewed appreciation for the little things and blessings we still have.
- We are, as mankind, humbled by this pandemic."
1) SUPPORT: If you enjoy this channel, please consider supporting it! There are opportunities for financial and non-financial support: http://protectingveil.com/support/
Understand your faith better so you can live it more deeply: https://www.youtube.com/c/protectingveil
3) FREE eBOOK ON THE ELDERS
Interested in the lives and counsels of contemporary elders and Saints of Greece? Download a free abridged version of my book on the elders here: https://mailchi.mp/46ae30e9607e/freebook
4) LET'S CONNECT!
5) DO YOU LIKE MUSIC?
I’m writing and recording songs retelling the lives of the ancient Saints of Ireland! The music featured at the beginning of this video is from my song for Saint Columba: https://youtu.be/8CczZbHzCCU
6) ARE YOU AN ORTHODOX ARTIST OR PATRON?
Please check out Zosima Society, where we’re connecting Orthodox non-liturgical artists (writers, musicians, filmmakers, visual artists, etc.) and patrons!